Friday, September 24, 2010

"I know who I am, I am your's" Part 2

College. It's much different from what you're use to, it should be. The curriculum is more advanced, the classrooms are bigger, and most likely you will walk quite a few miles a day. Yet, though the course schedule is rough, it certainly is not the most overwhelming aspect of the University lifestyle.
High Schoolers as a whole, if they are like I was, have a substantial number of misconceptions about going off to school.
For example, living in a dorm isn't living on your own. My dorm room gives me no more freedom than my room back home did, actually a whole lot less!
- I can't do laundry when I want
- The bathroom down the hall is neither clean, nor private
- There isn't a kitchen like the one back home (no fridge/pantry full of snacks!!)
- Unless your roommate has an additional apartment somewhere, you will never be alone
- And finally, and most painfully, you WILL NOT see your family as much as you want to
Now, don't let this discourage you. Let it challenge you.
I wake up everyday with more than a zillion things to accomplish. Even taking a shower in the mornings becomes something else to conquer, but that's what you have to do, you have to conquer it.
College is just the next step in life, and with every step comes that step's test and trials!
The biggest misconception about this world of higher learning, is the road of self discovery. Every new day is a test of who you are. Being here, I have proven to myself who I am, who I know I should be.
COLLEGE IS NOT THE PLACE TO REINVENT YOURSELF!!
Find out what makes you....you! Maybe let something in you die away, but never ever lose sight of who you are, or where you have come from.
And if you get confused, which is bound to happen, look to your roots. Look to home, where you came from.
I see me in my nephews, Collin and Caleb. I see me, with them in my arms.
I know who I am...I know who I have always been.
I'm Uncle Micah.

1 comment:

  1. I love you, and you're words are always warm and comforting.

    ReplyDelete